Feast Your Eyes on These Beauties
COOL FACTS: FEATHERS
There are 10,000 different species of birds in the world.
Rarest Birds: Turquoise Browed Motmot; Asian Crested Ibis; Andean Cock-of-the-Rock; Kakapo; Hooded Pitohui; Quetzal; Great Curassow; Malachite Kingfisher; Helmeted Hornbill; Hoatzin; Indian Frogmouth; Ribbon-Tailed Astrapia and the Long-Wattlted Umbrellabird
The most beautiful bird in the world: Quetzal; Mandarin Duck; Green Headed Tanager
WANT MORE? Here's a few of the world's most exotic birds...
- Jacobin Pigeons
- Rainbow Lorikeet
- Golden Pheasant
- Bali Bird of Paradise
- Atlantic Puffin
- Lear's Macaw
COOL FACTS: FASHION
- There is evidence that even Neanderthals wore feathers as ornamentation.
- Indians used feathers in their headdresses.
- Feathers were introduced into the fashion world as early as 1066 to exhibit social status.
- Feather boas were worn since the 1820's.
- Some of the top designers who incorporate feathers into their fashion are: Prada, Fendi and Burberry
- During the 1900's, the USA started the Lacey Act to protect wildlife and the feather market began to fade.